Monday 6 May 2013

Solway

Ive had my Sister and her kids up for the bank holiday weekend so my scope or bins haven't been out the house till today. They left mid morning and I was gonna do some chores in the garden, ie build the new flat pack million bolt shed but as it was raining I decided to go birding instead. Rach n I headed for the Solway firstly checking the roadside scrape at Campfield Marsh fot the mornings Wood Sandpiper, Unfortunately no sign. A few Whimbrel, 5 Black-tailed Godwits, Grey Plover, Knot Dunlin and Ringed Plover was it. We then moved to the viaduct where Rach dropped me off in the car parking bay and she took dogs for a walk whilst I looked for Skuas. Initially very quite but I did pick up a Male 2nd calendar year Marsh Harrier, 3 Arctic Skuas and a few Commic Terns. Light was really poor.

Marsh harrier Mobbed by Gulls
Eventually I managed to pick up 2 Pale phase Pom Skuas, this is when in all kicked off, the dropping and the birds were then coming in to drift out again. 10 Red Throated Divers came out. Then I picked up the Pom Skua again then  an Arctic Skua and then someone pointed out a third bird, Bonxie, that's great all 3 species in the same scope view. This was great but now it was time for lunch.
After lunch we had a walk upto the hide at Campfield Marsh, the lights always crap here but the Marsh Harrier was here and a cracking Green Winged Teal, but the Garganey were well concealed in the long grass. 4 Whimbrel were on the flood. After this we headed home.

Pom Skuas Honest!

Pom Skua Honest

No comments:

Post a Comment