Sunday 20 May 2012

Norfolk getting better.

Day 11 17th May
Firstly had a bit of a sea watch from Sherringham, nothing of any note, it looked good for some movement...Then had a good route around the coast from Kelling to Happisburgh, but nothing seen of note but a color ringed Herring Gull
Day 12 18th May
Parents arrived last night for the weekend so that means no proper birding. We walked the scenic 5 and a half miles to Sherringham then caught the train back. So this meant typically the 1 day I don't have transport a pissing Bee-eater turns up at Salthouse and I couldn't get there. So on the walk the best I could do was a Hobby over Sherringham park, pair of Green Woodpecker and a couple of Stonechat.
Day 13 19th May
Today another day with the family, We visited Cromer then in the afternoon had tea at Cley where I managed to scope the pools from here picking up 6 Little Gulls, Little Stint, Curlew Sand and Wood Sand

Then I got dropped off at Stiffkey to twitch a 1st summer male Red-backed Shrike whilst the family went to Wells. As I arrived and was watching the Shrike a shout for Bluethroat in front of me, of coarse I never saw it and couldn't find it. I had to get back to the family so called it a day.


When we got back to the van I managed to nip to Cley again this time I went to North hide where there were 6 Curlew Sands, 2 Spoonbill, Temmnicks Stint, Dunlin and Sanderling. Then a Bluethroat landed on the fence and was then mobile around the hide...absolute brilliant, this time it was a 1st Summer bird not like the adult I missed at Stiffkey earlier. I watched this bird for a while but it was very elusive unfortunately.. What a great day Finally!!!
Day 14 20th May
Another brilliant day in the field, although an early morning stroll around the heath AGAIN produced nothing but Woodlark and Turtle dove. Back at the van I gave the dog a run when a Tree Pipit flew over singing brilliant!!!. Went on a walk with the parents but this was cut short again because of news of a Bee eater at Glandford so I had to run back to the van to collect the car, I could risk missing this one. Directions  were poor so it took me a while to find the spot but when I did I was very happy to see the Bee eater sat on wires catching plenty of bees, great scope views but a little distant for decent photos. A walk back to the car produced a Hobby. News broke of a Red Breasted Flycatcher at Warham Green, parked in the wrong lane so had to walk a little farther than I needed too. When I arrived the bird was showing badly on and off, and continued so. A flight view from one side of the lane to another whilst calling tak tak was all I managed on 2 occasions. So decided id wait for a better one in the spring, this was a boring 1st summer anyway. I was neglecting the family so thought id better return before I get into to much trouble..
These last two days have been better bird wise than the whole 2 weeks I've been here.
Saw many of the ASBOS this weekend good to see ya lads n lasses.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Craig,

    good to meet you and Rachel today. Never realised you were from 'just down the road' in Kilburn. Small world. Enjoyed reading about your Norfolk trip so far.

    Pity about the conditions today. I hammered Waxham/SeaPalling/Eccles for ages late afternoonand evening and barely saw a migrant. Maybe tomorrow... good luck for the rest of your visit.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tim, nice to meet you too, small world eh mate. All i managed were 2 Turtle Doves. i hammed Waverton too and drew a blank.

      Delete