Sunday 4 August 2013

Oh what hardship

Well today I was helping a mate out by nipping down to Kelling Heath with Rachel to clean one of the static vans for the next guests. As I love this place it was a pleasure as it meant I could spend the weekend down there. So Rach followed me down in her car and we cleaned the van. After this we went for a walk before having lunch in the club. As we were walking around we saw Marsh Tit and my first ever White Admiral.
 

After lunch Rach continued home leaving me to walk around the site looking for more butterflies and any birds that may be around. Birds were few and far between but butterflies and Dragons were everywhere. Firstly were these Small Red Eyed Damselflies.
 

 
Then loads and loads more White Admirals with loads more common butterflies.
 


 
On the pond some Hawkers, and a Banded Demoiselle. On the heath were 2 Silver Washed Fritillaries another first for me as was the Grayling.
 

 

After my fill, I headed for the main reserve at Cley for the evening, amazing place, picking up 7 Yellow legged Gulls a hybrid Lesser BB Gull X Herring Gull, 6 Spoonbill including this flock of 4.
 


Hybrid

 
5 Green Sandpipers, 2 Wood Sandpipers, a Curlew Sandpiper, eclipse Garganey probably 2 , loads of Ruff and a dark Arctic Skua. The rarest birds of the day though was probably this Continental Black Tailed Godwit, there were a couple of birds here.
 

 
Lastly as I was leaving a Barn Owl with food headed back to the visitor centre.






 
Wood Sandpiper
 
 
 
I popped into see a friend then moved back to the heath for amazing sights and sounds of the Nightjar.

I then settled myself down in my Van for the night on Salthouse beach carpark with all the other scrubbers  ;-).

Next morning I went back to the heath getting great views of the Dartford's and also surprisingly hearing Woodlark.




 

I once again headed for Cley but this time Swarovski hide, here was much the same as yesterday a Spoonbill flew over, 4 Little Gull a load of Dunlin and another or the same Curlew Sandpiper, 2 Wood Sandpiper and 2 Green Sandpiper


 
From here I took a slow drive back home, then nipped into Lowestoft to have another look at the Black Tern hoping it would come a bit closer, naaa it never did, still great views. This Adult Med Gull was sat in the carpark.
 

 

 
Also a few Turnstone and 3 Sanderling.
 


 

Went home showed tea and sorted a few bits before going back out to do a short seawatch from the cliffs.1 Juv Arctic Tern, 3 pale phase Arctic Skuas, with 2 sat on water drifting S slowly, also 17 Whimbrel south, 16 Common Scoter. 3 Med Gulls 2 adults 1 juv and 1 Porpoise.

Great weekend. Shame Rach had to go to her home though.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment