Sunday 1 June 2014

North Norfolk.

So Rach n I packed the Tent Saturday morning and headed for Kelling Heath, our favourite place in the world :-). On the way down we stopped into the old pig farm at West Runton for a female Black Headed Bunting but waited an hour and dipped so I wasn't wasting my day on a possible escape. Anyway got to Kelling Heath and put up the tent.



After this we had lunch then the Bunting was reported again, I left Rach and headed back to find out it was only a flyby and 1 observer got it, so I headed back to the campsite again to meet back up with Rach and wander around the heath.
Tried for the  Bunting just once more before dinner but still no luck 3 hours and nothing to show for it, what a waste Twitching can be.
Anyway back on the Heath we had stunning views of Common Crossbill, and Dartford Warbler as well as the commoner Linnet. Eventually distant views of Woodlark were had.







We were now getting hungry so went for something to eat n a few pints then headed back out to the heath about 9pm for Nightjar, as soon as I reached the heath I could hear the Nightjars singing and calling, then noticed 4 in the air at once wing claping and displaying this was all in pretty good light, boy do I wish id taken my Camera! I also I another 3 Churring so probably 7 in pretty much one small area. This is why I love Kelling Heath.
Returned to the tent and all through the night we could hear the Nightjar churring and calling, Watched them for a good hour into darkness before going to bed.

Next morning awoke to the amazing sound of birdsong, it had been some years since we camped at Kelling as we usually stop in our friends Static Van, if ya want the number its a great van please Email me here.  Anyhoo, birdsong were a dozen or more Crossbill, Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Blackcap and the usual common stuff.
Took dogs out for a walk about 7am, target today was the Turtle Dove and bingo heard it straight away as I reached the Heath, it was sat in a dead tree cooing, just lovely, so I moved around for better views. A Woodlark was in the area too.




On the walk back I spotted a nice Adder.


Got back to the tent only to find Rach had already packed it away so we went for a nice Brekky before taking another go with the Black Headed Bunting. Woohooo took a while but 4th time of asking with initially really crap views through massive heat haze but it did sit out for a short time before it disappeared back into the hedge, that's it im not wasting anymore time, im off to do something fun instead. Crap pic of the Bunting through the heat haze. its in the middle honest.


Anyway went n had fun, it was baking ;-)





Unfortunately time for home after another fantastic weekend.

Last week on patch no birds as such but I did find Common Spotted and Bee Orchid.





No comments:

Post a Comment