Saturday 21 September 2013

More Phalaropes

Last night Rob picked me up and we headed for Burgh Castle to see what Waders were about, it was a fantastic evening to be out. Birds included 2 Curlew sandpiper, 13 Common Sandpiper 167 Dunlin, Little Egrets Bar and Black tailed Godwits, 2 Med Gulls and a few Marsh harriers.
We were hoping for a rare wader or two, maybe tonight ;-)




What a great mornings birding, I left the house at 7 this morning and immediately noticed a movement of Meadow Pipits, probably 3-4 hundred by time id finished birding. I walked the patch Corton Old Sewage Works but it was fairly quiet except for 5 Chiffchaffs. I decided I do a quick seawatch and immediatly spotted a Guillemot close in, quite rare round here then the unusual sight of a Little Grebe on the Sea. Things just got better and better though with a group of my first Dark Bellied Brents of the autumn and in total by the end about 18 passed.



Then it all kicked off I was watching a Sanderling close in going south and I picked up what I though was going to be another but looking closely the wing bars were narrow the the rump was plain, it was only a flaming Grey Phalarope BINGO... it sort of slowly drifted south looking like it would land on the water but it soon took off south. Soon after I picked up a dainty skua it came in from a long way so gave me enough time to get a proper id, a stonking Juv Long-tailed Skua.. After this it went a little quieter but more Brents a couple of Common Tern quiet a few Teal and Scoters and 2 Tufted Duck. Gannets and Red Throated divers were in good numbers too. Oh yeh and finished with a Porpoise.

Rob had found a Snow Bunting early on so I nipped to have a look at this beaut! then it was half hour out on bike trying to loose my puppy fat ;-)



 
 
 
Update
Tonight I coved the patch again. Best birds were Hobby and 7 Chiffchaff which I searched through carefully for something unusual but nowt. Porpoise Arctic Skua and 3 Sandwich Terns out at Sea.



No comments:

Post a Comment