Friday 11 October 2013

Tough going. Almost comes good.

So started trying to do a seawatch off Corton this morning, blowing a hooley so viewing wasn't great from here. 6 Drake Eider 2+4 came past, 4 Manxies together scarce of here and then usual stuff Arctic Skua, Brent Geese, Gannets Wigeon, Teal etc. James then tweeted to say viewing was better from Gunton Cliffs so headed for there and picked up a  Sooty Shearwater brilliant, a Bonxie and then James picked up a Leach's Petrel, could I get on it could I buggery. Red Throated Divers, Common scoter a female Eider, Gannets and a few Auks passed. After this the rain came in and visibility turned to pish so decided id go find something on the patch. It wasn't going to be easy in heavy rain but I was just hoping id get lucky but I didn't. Few Thrushs about including a single Fieldfare, my first of the autumn. Time for lunch try sea watching again once the rain clears, theres Leach's everywhere..

Went out after lunch the visibility at sea was still very poor so I nipped back to the patch for an hour but didn't pick up anything new. So Went back to do a seawatch from Gunton Cliffs and was joined by James 1 Juv Long-tailed Skua 3 Arctic Skuas and 35 Brents was the pick of the bunch it was very quiet this afternoon.
Once again I headed back to the patch dejected to say the least had another good wander around but nothing. So I decided id have a trawl along the cliff and the Stubble. I kicked up some Skylarks, Meadow pipits then a bloody small bunting. Bingo It could only be a Little Bunting. So I managed to flush it once more yup a small bunting but as I hadn't taken my scope I couldnt fully get the id on the ground. So I put news out and James came out and we flushed it another couple of times, James seemed happy it was a bunting but wont let me have it as we never saw it properly on the ground and it never called, we watched it fly into one of the willows but when the boys turned up we couldn't find it again, maybe tomorrow.

Can I count it please ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment