Sunday 9 March 2014

North Norfolk

We new the North Norfolk Steam Gala was on today, now were not train spotters but we always find these Steam engines to be a good day out. As we weren't gonna take the dogs, Jamie's scared of the noise, I took em for a walk around the patch. Finally things are slowly starting to happen with a patch tick in the form of a Female Stonechat.



After this 4 Stock Dove flew over and at the same time a Golden Plover was calling from somewhere.
After this it was quiet and time for our non birding day in North Norfolk.
When I say non birding day, that didn't stop me taking my scope just in case. ;-)
Anyway long story short the Steam Gala was great with numerous trains on show.







After this we had a couple of hours on Kelling Heath looking for Adders, we eventually found a couple, it was a lovely sunny afternoon. Perfect for Adders.







So now the birding itch was itching so lastly we headed along the coast to Cley but we had to stop as I noticed a large white bird at Salthouse, now I expected it to be a Spoonbill, imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a Great White Egret Bingo, then I checked birdguides and realised it had been in the area all day.. Still I didn't no this and according to Punk birder rules I can have this as a Self Found tick ;-).




We scanned Cley pools only from the car park as time was getting on and we had to get back for the dogs. Nothing much else of real note but the 40 or so Avocets and 2 Adult Summer plumaged Med Gulls and a Ruff. Flaming missed 2 circling Cranes though doh. Home time what a brilliant day in North Norfolk as ever.

1 comment: