Saturday 22 August 2015

Wryneck and Black Tern

During the week the patch was still quiet with Blackcaps and Whitethroats still. Common Terns, Common Sandpipers and a Tree Creeper. Tawny owl was calling in the day.

Today was a great day, I checked the whole patch and it was looking like a poor day again but a sea watch changed that with 2 - 5 Black Terns. The light was strong making all the terns look black but if I looked away from the sun earlier enough I could make out the jizz of a few Black terns.
Luckily they went south and spent the day at Links road in Lowestoft.
Waders were 2 Common Sand a Whimbrel and Turnstone. 5+3 Teal went south.







Alongside a few Common Terns.




A Stunning summer plum Red Knot went south.


The Lowestoft team did the business again at Kessingland by finding the first Wryneck of the autumn, After lunch I had a quick look and got lucky.



The Wryneck disappeared so I took a bit of time looking for other stuff. 2 Whinchat were my first of the autumn. 2 Greenshank flew over calling and the Linnets and stonechats showed nicely.






Its been red hot, time for home :-) Back in the garden Gulls galore with 1 2nd Summer Med Gull and a Tern but only a Common, I was hoping for the Black as they were flycathing over land at Lowestoft.

1 comment: