Sunday 28 July 2013

Corton and Burgh Marsh and Castle

So I started with a little experiment, birding from Corton on a sea watch. Started at 7 and finished at 9 the light was terrible for starters the sun straight into the scope which made id challenging but I like a challenge. So I went through each bird picking up  2 Whimbrel, a fly over Green Sandpiper, 2 Gannet, Kittiwakes, a juv Med Gull, plenty of Common and Sandwich Terns, waders included Turnstone, Oyks, Dunlin and Ringed Plover. 6 Teal surprised me and a bull Grey Seal was good.  

I then moved onto Burgh Castle
It amazes me to think all these places I'm visiting are less than 40 minutes from home, and they are FULL of birds so today I travelled the 20 minutes to Burgh Castle a site in NORFOLK yes that's how close I am to Norfolk, i've never actually visited. This is a really nice place with lots of Butterflies and Dragonflies. The birds here were double figure Egyptian Goose, lots of Little Egret, 11 Greenshank, 9 Avocet, 6 Whimbrel and a scruffy looking hybrid Hooded Crow. Also the color ringed Lapwing I found at Carlton Marshes was now here... Weird.


 

I then moved down to the east end by Great yarmouth and the big overpass, here the waders gather in their masses, i've never seen so many Avocets I counted 330 that was just the birds I could see the bank hid a lot more. Also 183 Icelandic Black tailed Godwits again many more were hidden in the grass and by the bank. Common and Sandwich tern were also common. Pic showing the small proportion of Avocets.


I left here and moved onto Carlton Marshes picking up a corking Otter in one of the drainage ditches. A male and Female Marsh harrier were in the distance and on the flood were a good selection of Waders again, 2 Wood Sandpiper, 1 Green Sandpiper, 1 Spotted Redshank, Ruff, Limosa Black-tailed Godwit 11 Little egret and 3 Greenshank. An Egyptian Goose and 2 Pintail were a bit of a surprise. Its still producing the goods and something specials gonna turn up soon.

Back home for a deserved Pint and Sunday roast down the pub :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment