Monday 22 April 2013

Uk Lifer!! and Migrants

Saturday 20th April
Well ill update my blog with some local stuff first as it will take an age to do my Spanish trip blog.
So The first good bird was once we had landed at Liverpool Airport we headed for Burton Mere Wetlands RSPB where we immediately hit our target of a Drake Blue Winged Teal. Migrants, most first of the year were Avocet, Swallows, Sand Martins and Little Ringed Plover.
Really bad pic i no but we didn't have time to go to the hide so viewed the pools from the top of the hill.

Sunday 21st April.
So as Ive been in Spain Ive had no time for local stuff, so i dropped Rach off at Morrisons and had 45 min with the dogs along Workington beach picking up a cracking female Black Redstart not common at all in Cumbria but these Rocks always turns a few up, i found 2 here similar time last year. 15 Sandwich Tern were on the beach too, my first of the year. A dead Manxie on the beach was a shame. I didn't have my scope or Camera with me to take pics of the Redstart typically. I did take pics of the Manxie with my phone.



then on the way home stopped at Broughton Bridge for loads of Swallows and Sandmartins and excellent place for them, Dropped Rachel off at Home and made my last stop Soddy Gap. Here were my First Willow Warblers x 2 and a couple of Chiffchaff. 3 Swallows too.

Monday 22nd April
Now onto today, i was due at work but then found out they weren't ready for me so decided to continue on to Durham and a lifer in the form of a Little Bunting. First stop however was Powter howe next to Bass lake and i sat in the car with the window down listerning to the great sound of a Wood Warbler. On arriving at  New Lambton the bird had flown about 20 min ago doh! but after a short while i managed to connect and it showed well, giving good scope views. Bingo what a lifer.




 

It was still only 13pm so decided to head for Saltholme pools, here i had a few more migrants, Black-necked Grebes, Yellow and White Wagtails, House Martins, Sand Martins, Swallows Chiffchaff and Little Ringed plover, also Arctic Tern and my second drake Lesser Scaup. Waders were Common Sandpiper and a single summer plum Black-tailed Godwit.   Couldn't find the reported Garganey..
Great day.

Black necked grebe click to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment