Wednesday 29 April 2015

Raven

A great evening on the patch tonight, I made my way to radar lodge seeing very little initially except for 5 Linnet and a couple of Whitethroat.

 
So decided to do a sea watch. Started with a close Sandwich Tern, my first of the year. Then a Fulmar, 18 Common Scoter sat on the water. Terns then started to move but at a great distance with 40 feeding and then sat on the Yellow Bouy. 78 More in one big group went south as well as smaller numbers. I think they were Sandwich Tern but not 100% 2 Gannets added to the list.
I was just about to pack up when I picked up a large dark bird very very distant, firstly thinking cormorant but the flight was totally wrong. It was heading straight at me but I felt it was a Corvid and the closer it got the more detail I got with long wings large shape and then eventually just before it got to land turning showing the big size and diamond tail of the RAVEN, which I suspected all along ;-). It continued north and seemed to make land at Hopton. What a bird and my best find for the year so far.  Whilst making sure It was a Raven 2 Whimbrel flew south calling but I didn't want to take my eyes of the corvid.
A few more distant terns went south and a couple of Swallows came in off but that was it, so started heading back. I heard the distinctive call of the Common Sandpiper and found it feeding on the Groynes opposite the Caravan park, another year tick and finished the patching off just nicely.




No comments:

Post a Comment